New PM&DC leadership should strive to regain its image and prestige through efficient and transparent functioning

ISLAMABAD: After elections and notification by the Ministryof National Health Services the new eight member management committee of the Pakistan Medical & Dental Council has started functioning. The most important challenge it faces is to regain the image and prestige of this body which monitors the healthcare professionals ensuring standards of medical education, teaching and training through efficient and transparent functioning.  The outgoing Management Committee headed by Major Gen. Azhar Keyani had done a commendable job and organized transparent elections on January 16th within its mandate.

Read more...

95% of Heart Transplants are done in North America and Europe-Dr. Asif Hassan

KARACHI: About four thousand heart transplants are done every year in the world and 95% of this are performed in North America and Europe while the rest 5% are done in the rest of the world. It is because organs are available there and there is no paucity of donors. Donation is variable in European countries. In Roman Catholic countries the donation is much higher. Almost 97% of donations come from white population there and just 2% from Asians living in these countries. In fact there is no culture of organ donation in Asian population wherever they live.

Read more...

Rheumatic disease are under diagnosed, Biologicals are good but they are expensive-Dr. Tahera Parveen

KARACHI: Dr. Tahera Parveen consultant rheumatologist at Liaquat National Hospital was one of the guest speakers at the JPMC annual symposium where she talked about “When Backache is not a backache”. Backache, she stated, is the most frequent disorder and almost 90% of people suffer from it.  It results from tenderness, ligaments and cartilage inflammation. It could be due to psoartic, reactive arthritis and the incidence of ankylosing spondylitis is 0.1%. 

Read more...

Health Care Priorities

Planning and working based on correct priorities is essential for success in every sphere of life – vital for running the health-care system – a fundamental human right enshrined in the constitution. Even the rich advanced countries have to prioritize plan/work keeping in view the available resources. For example the United Kingdom is not running its National Health Service the way Nordic countries do, due to difference in population and availability of resources. 

Read more...

"Persistence and perseverance” are two essential attributes for success-Haseeb Khan

KARACHI: “Persistence and perseverance” are two essential attributes for success, and in today’s highly competitive world, our youth need to show lots of resilience and determination in their academic and professional pursuits. This was stated by renowned industrialist Senator Abdul Haseeb Khan. He was speaking at the Day-1 function of Baqai Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences (BIPS).

Read more...

Dr. Mazhar Abbas Rizvi emerges as pioneer of Humorous poetry related to Health Services

ISLAMABAD: Dr. Syed Mazhar Abbas Rizvi is a child specialist who graduated from Rawalpindi Medical College and then did MCPS from the College of Physicians & Surgeons of Pakistan. He also did Diploma in Child Health from Postgraduate Medical Institute Lahore followed by M.Sc. in Nutrition from Allama Iqbal Open University Islamabad.  Currently he is Child Specialist and Head of the Dept. of Paediatrics at National Institute for Handicapped Children at Islamabad. Apart from Medicine his other professional love affair seems to be with Urdu Poetry.

Read more...

The future is clouded by some major threats to health that encircle the globe

GENEVA (SWITZERLAND): Fifteen months ago, Guinea, Liberia, and Sierra Leone were together reporting more than 950 cases of Ebola every week. Today, the three countries have interrupted all chains of transmission from the original outbreak that began more than two years ago.This is a monumental achievement that needs to be acknowledged. However, WHO has not yet declared the outbreak in West Africa over.

Read more...

Otsuka awareness campaign against Hepatitis

KARACHI: Govt. should adopt realistic pricing policy to ensure availability of quality drugs. Healthcare providers should also prescribe quality products and ensure their availability in their institutions which will be beneficial for the patients. These views were expressed by Dr. Sharhriyar Ghazanfar, Professor of Surgery at Dow Medical College/Civil Hospital, Karachi while performing the Otsuka Lucky draw in connection with Otsuka awareness campaign against Hepatitis held at Otsuka Head Office on 28th January 2016.

Read more...

© Professional Medical Publications. All rights reserved.